Focus on the Significant Events in your Life
Throughout our lives, most of us experience several significant events, or “life events.” The emotion surrounding these events varies, but each should cause us to examine our financial future to ensure we’re making the best decisions possible for ourselves and our families.
At Corning Credit Union, we’re here to help you plan ahead for these events and ensure that you experience the best possible outcome in every life situation. Every person’s situation is different, and we can help you create a customized plan to manage your own circumstances.
Take a look through this section to start thinking about how to prepare for each of the events below. Then call a CCU representative to get started.
- Starting a Career: You’ve spent years learning and preparing for your career – and now you’re finally ready to start off on your own. Making solid financial decisions now is essential to setting yourself up for a lifetime of success and independence.
- Getting Married: Getting married is a life-changing event with lots of financial decisions along the way. Even after the wedding, good communication about money is important throughout your lives together.
- Purchasing a Home: Over time, home ownership continues to be a very smart investment. The most important element of purchasing a new home is ensuring you’re buying something you can truly afford.
- Expanding Your Family: There’s no doubt about it – adding a new family member is an incredible, life-changing event. The earlier you begin planning for the financial impact of your growing family, the more prepared you’ll be when it happens.
- Planning for College: It's never too early or too late to start planning for your children's education after high school. The earlier you adopt a savings plan, the more options you have for building that nest egg to pay for college.
- Transitioning Jobs: Deciding to take a new job or change careers can be a very difficult choice. There are many factors that should be taken into account before making this decision, and most of these have the potential to impact your personal finances.
- Planning for Retirement: Planning for retirement is about more than making sure that you have enough money. Equally important to the financial aspect is determining your retirement goals and how you will meet them.
- Leaving a Legacy: Determining what happens to your estate (the sum of all the things you own) after your death should be something everyone considers as they plan for the future.