Skip to Content
StraightTalk Blog Banner
View All Posts

What to Do After a Hurricane

Posted in Security, Tips

If your home has been damaged during a hurricane, follow these steps:

Take Pictures and Document Damage

Document the damage thoroughly with photos and/or video, as it will make the insurance claims process much easier. In addition, keep a running list of all damaged items and any expenses you incur after the hurricane is over, like temporary relocation expenses.

Secure Your Property

If it’s possible and safe to do so, make efforts to secure your property from additional damage (like covering broken windows with plastic to keep rain out). Don’t make permanent repairs until an insurance adjuster reviews the damage.

File Claims

Notify your insurance company as soon as possible that you need to file a claim. Provide a general description of the damage and have your policy number ready if possible. If your policy is through the CCU Insurance Agency, contact your insurance company directly to start the claim process. If you aren’t sure which insurance company your policy is with, call us at 844-835-7641.

Insurance Claims Contact Information

Homeowners insurance policies typically exclude flood losses from coverage; however, you may have a separate flood insurance policy. If you do not have coverage for a flood loss, visit or call 800-621-3362 (TTY 800-621-3362) to learn more about Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) assistance.

Please note, FEMA forms may ask for your bank or credit union’s Routing & Transit Number. Corning Credit Union’s R&T number is 222380359. If you need to include your checking account number, use the 14-digit Member Account Number on the bottom of your checks. Feel free to call us if you need help.

Return Claim Forms

After you file your claim, your insurance company will send you forms to fill out and return as soon as possible. A claims adjuster may also schedule time to inspect the damage to your home and personal property.

Receive Insurance Proceeds

If you have a mortgage on your property, the insurance claim check will be made jointly to you and your mortgage lender. If your mortgage is with CCU, call our Real Estate Services team at 800-677-8506.

Make Repairs

When you’re ready to start repairs, ensure you select a qualified contractor to help. Keep an eye out for common scams that often occur after disasters.

The Greater Wilmington Business Journal has created a place for businesses, home owners and others in the region to find needed resources to help recover from a Hurricane.

Foremost Insurance


NC Joint Underwriters / Insurance Underwriters Association
800-662-7048, Option 1




Assurant Flood